Pet TPLO Surgery in Toledo, OH
WHAT IS CBLO SURGERY?
In a CBLO procedure, a curved cut is employed in the upper part of the tibia, which is then rotated to eliminate the forward thrust that occurs in dogs with a torn cruciate ligament. This procedure is also helpful in patients with specific anatomy that might not make them a candidate for the TPLO/TTA procedure.
BENEFITS OF CBLO SURGERY
- Less joint cartilage damage over time
- Excellent short and long-term functional results
- Fast healing
- Can be used for juvenile patients because the surgery does not involve the growth plate
Recovery from CBLO surgery is similar to that of a TPLO:
Post-Op Days 1-3:
- Ice (15-min) 3x/day
- Rest for first few days (can start short leash walks if tolerating)
Post-Op Days 4-7:
- Short leash walks 5-10 minutes 3x/day
Post-Op Days 8-21:
- Short leash walks 10-20 minutes 3x/day
- Limited by dog’s response/tolerance
*NOTE: If increased fatigue, soreness or discomfort were noticed with increased distance walked, revert to previous level of activity and begin from there
Post-Op Weeks 4-5:
- Continue to progress therapeutic activity. Slow leash walks (20-30 min) 3x/day to tolerance
- Begin functional strengthening: Figure 8 circles to the left and right at a walk
Post-Op Weeks 6-7:
- Increased intensity/duration of therapeutic activities
- Leash walks on a longer lead (30-40 min) 3x/day to tolerance
- Figure 8 trotting (no sharp turns)
- Ramps (inclines and declines)
- Ascend/descend stairs 5-10 flights slowly 2-3x/day
- Swimming – no explosive water entry
- Trotting on a longer lead in a straight line (no sharp turns)
Post-Op Week 8:
- Final check-up/healing complete (radiographs)
- Therapeutic activities: Zig-zag trotting and running in a straight line
- You may now return to prior level of activity at the end of the 8 weeks.
The facility is top notch but is surpassed by the staff. They were all so attentive, friendly and professional! This was my first visit with my new puppy but I have had dogs all my life and was particularly impressed by this group. I would highly recommend them!
Love everything about this place! So loving and caring toward your babies and I wouldn’t trust anyone else. Glad we found such a wonderful veterinary office.
Have recommended this vet to many and I love the staff.
LOVE the doctors and staff at West Suburban. They take such good care of my three fur babies: Max, Roxy & Sophie.
I had an amazing experience with Dr. Thompson and his staff. Very friendly and reassuring in a high stress time. They fixed my fur baby right back as good as new. Extremely grateful!
The BEST OF THE BEST!!! Kept me updated throughout the day on my dog’s surgery/recovery. Very caring staff!
They are very caring. Give great care to your pets. The way each individual handles your pet, you know they love their job, what they do and every animal that walks in the door.
We are so happy with the out come of our boys TPLO surgery, super nice staff and vets.