Pet Spay & Neuter in Toledo, OH
Schedule a visit today for your new pet so we can determine the best timing for surgery!
BENEFITS OF PERFORMING A LAPAROSCOPIC SPAY FOR YOUR PET
Ovariectomy is a laparoscopic “spay.” The female animal’s ovaries are removed to prevent heat cycles and pregnancy. Spaying female animals also significantly decrease the chance of breast cancer and uterine infections as they age. Laparoscopic surgery allows better visualization of the ovaries and uses smaller incisions. In the traditional approach, ligaments involved need to be stretched and broken down to allow for visualization of the ovaries. The reduced trauma to the soft tissue and incisions allows for faster recovery and less pain.
There are a number of benefits to laparoscopic surgery. These include:
- Smaller incisions at the surgical site
- The cameras used allow for better visualization of the organs
- Less painful than the traditional approach
- Faster recovery time
BENEFITS OF SPAY/NEUTER SURGERY
Spays and neuters are beneficial to all pets, whether cats or dogs, male or female. The procedure helps to reduce the number of unwanted litters, which in turn helps prevent shelter overcrowding and stray overpopulation. In addition, with fewer pets coming into shelters, current shelters pets have a better chance of being adopted.
Plus, benefits for your individual pet include:
- Reduces the risk of certain cancers including mammary gland tumors, cervical, ovarian, and uterine cancers in females, and testicular cancer in males
- Reduces the risk of certain diseases such as prostate problems in males and pyometra in females
- Curbs undesirable behaviors in males including urine marking, mounting, and aggression toward other intact males
- Eliminates your female’s heat cycles, which are frustrating for her (and you!), and can attract the unwanted attention of intact males
Spaying or neutering your pet is an important decision, and we want to help you make the best choice for you and your pet. Schedule an appointment today by calling 419-841-4745 to talk to one of our veterinarians about the benefits of surgery!